Dan, Technician
Experience:  17+ yrs. shop and field experience with all major brands of heavy equipment, trucks and farm equipment - 1995 WyoTech graduate.
65405794

John Deere 501B backhoe/loader The drive wheels have very

Customer Question

John Deere 501B backhoe/loader The drive wheels have very little power. This problem has been getting worse for the past several weeks. I changed the filter cartridge and transmission oil in the reverser. No improvement. The engine runs fine, and the other hydrolics perform as expected.
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  Dan replied 8 months ago.
Hi Ed my name is***** will be glad to try to help. Check the old filters internally for fine metal/debris indicating a pump or internal component failure occurring. If clean then the next step is to get some test gauges on this and check pressures but the symptoms you are describing point to a pump or drive motor problem. It is possible for a faulty relief or control valve problem if the pump tests ok. Let me know the serial number and the results.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Sorry, I do not have the resources to perform those tests.
I can tell you that there was no debris in the old filter.
Essentially what you told me was to take it to a shop and have it repaired. That's not worth $46.
Expert:  Dan replied 8 months ago.
Hi Ed, Thanks for the update. We can post back and forth as needed. I was a technician for a Deere Dealer in the past. I understand if you do not have gauges but liquid filled gauges can be purchased at most hydraulic component shops and some adapters and test hoses. There are some other things you can check before getting to the point of testing pressures which I can provide you the specs if you need them. Check for a failed torque converter between the engine and transmission. Other potential causes are faulty pump causing low pressure, Excessive internal leakage in the reverser, Plugged suction screen, Failed clutches, etc.
Expert:  Dan replied 8 months ago.
Restricted suction screen starving the pump. I assume you cleaned this screen during the service. What was in the screen and filter and what condition was the oil? Burnt? Milky? Discolored?
Expert:  Dan replied 8 months ago.
Another thing to check is the pressure regulating valve. Here is the breakdown. Clean, inspect, and reseal
Expert:  Dan replied 8 months ago.
Reverser pressure regulating valve
Expert:  Dan replied 8 months ago.
The oil pump is internal requiring disassembly if faulty. Click below
Expert:  Dan replied 8 months ago.
Trans filter.....
Expert:  Dan replied 8 months ago.
Let me know if you would like to do some of these checks yourself and if so I will gladly help with what I can.