dd85
dd85, Foreman
Experience:  Service manger for over 18 years in same Dealership
15057492

Massey ferguson 65 diesel new type power steering valve. service

Customer Question

massey ferguson 65 diesel new type power steering valve. service manual group iv sec. a part 8 ref. fig. 4 . Manual says remove 2 allen head set screws #5 to facilitate unscrewing valve end rod # ***** from valve spool #8. My p.s. valve does not have set screws. It has what appears to be 2 round balls pressed into the holes. The sides of the holes are smooth, No sign of threads. I called a M.F. dealer; They have no clue. The balls are hard and won't come out. Is this a late revision ? If so, how do I get it apart to replace seal and "o" ring? M.F. serial # ***** Built 1962.***@******.***
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 8 months ago.
Is this a gerotor steering valve? Or can you attach a picture? If this is gerotor type steering valve, you do not want to remove the balls. You will no find any parts under them to replace! Massey 65 parts book only shows standard type gear box and not gerotor type. ???
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
This is not a geroter system. It is a hydraulic cylinder with a spool valve mounted on one end. The spool valve is activated by pressure from the steering gear, (similar to 60's era ford auto p.s.) the oil flow thru the spool valve causes the cylinder to move in or out reducing steering effort. The only reason for removing the set screws (or balls) is to gain access to the passage below them, allowing the insertion of a punch into a hole in the spool so the valve rod end can be loosened from it thus allowing disassembly.
This is the cylinder and not the pump! Let me get on the right page.
I see Benton and Bruning cylinders, no Wooten.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
This isn't the pump. This is the spool valve assembly, which activates the cylinder.To disassemble it, the valve end rod must be unscrewed from the spool. these pieces must be removed from opposite ends of the housing. The punch is inserted to prevent the spool from rotating while unscrewing the valve end rod.
This one?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Not that one. It is old type. Mine is new type.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
We can't send pictures to add files. Do you have e-mail we can send pix. to?
Attach using the paper clip above the typing bar.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
There is no "paper clip icon" above typing box only an + add file next to the send box which does not work.
OK> You can Email it to site and reference the question.
There has to be another way to to remove the spool other than removing the balls.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I appreciate your response, but you haven't told anything that I didn't already know. I think it best for us to terminate this effort. thank you. ***** web site doesn't work very well at all. Too many problems.
Let me opt out. Good luck with it.
Expert:  dd85 replied 8 months ago.
Is the attached what you have?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
yes
Expert:  dd85 replied 8 months ago.
This is a MF 165 Steering cylinder.
Expert:  dd85 replied 8 months ago.
So your problem is you can;t get the ref 17 balls out. correct? best I can give you is soak them in wd40 or something overnight. then on a block of wood slam the cylinder down and see if they move. is fo resoak and push back down, then slam again.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
If your wd-40 solution would work, the hydraulic pressure from the pump would have pushed the balls out long ago. I don't think M.F. would use such a risky design change.
Expert:  dd85 replied 8 months ago.
I was thinking incorrect, sorry. These balls are inserted and then a swedge is "hammered" to hold the balls in. You take a punch rounded and flatten the kneeling. O use a Drill bit at an angle to "cut" away the pressed in part, harder to do because you can't dirll the balls out.