Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager on multiple lines of equipment and rental equipment.
30244710

My Deere 5310 tractor won't go forward or backward. It has a

Customer Question

My John Deere 5310 tractor won't go forward or backward. It has a shuttle shift. Loader works, three point hitch works.
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 8 months ago.

When did it last work? Do you get any indication that the clutch is working? Any different feel to clutch? If you change range gears with clutch out, do gears grind showing shaft is turning? Did it quit under use? Any unusual noises? Will tractor roll, showing brakes are not locked? I assume 4WD?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Worked fine Friday afternoon, did't work Saturday morning when I started it. No grinding of range gears I don't the shafts are turning. Engine sound doesn't change. Towed it into my shop. It towed easy.

Is this syncroshuttle or power reverser transmission. Power reverser has valve body that can have stuck valve.

Does pto shaft turn?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Power reverser style. Pto runs fine

# ***** is the modulator valve, and # ***** is called filter, I would remove 48 and see if there is debris. If not check the modulator. All the other valves require removing the valve body!

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Filter clean. Does that modulator valve move one way only with spring return? I see its held in with a snap ring. Are these valve bodies known to give trouble?

Modulator moves only in one direction. It is used to cushion the shifts. I don't know of the valve body having known problems.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
where is the supply pump located for the power reverser? I don't have any oil coming to reverser.

Pump is in the front of the transmission, driven by input shaft.

There is a strainer shown just before the oil pump.??