Dan, Technician
Experience:  17+ yrs. shop and field experience with all major brands of heavy equipment, trucks and farm equipment - 1995 WyoTech graduate.
65405794

I have a 540170 jcb .gear selection is all over the place,

Customer Question

hello ,I have a 540170 jcb .gear selection is all over the place, sometimes engaging and other times second gear is third and then no first gear .what COULD BE THE PROBLEM
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  Dan replied 9 months ago.

Hi Andrew, My name is***** will be glad to help. A common failure on these is the shift controller on the column. They wear out and are out in the elements. The contacts inside eventually short out giving the symptoms you are having. Be sure to check the harness and connector pins for corrosion or damage and if ok replace the shift controller. Let me know