Bradley Martin
Bradley Martin,
Experience:  Field Technician at Thompson Tractor Company
29889544

Have a Massey ferguson 250 with 4000 hrs. Lately it uses

Customer Question

Have a Massey ferguson 250 with 4000 hrs.
Lately it uses about 5 quarts in about 3 hours - leaking a little around the front of the oil type pan - what could be causing this much leak every 3 to 4 hrs
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  Bradley Martin replied 9 months ago.

Does the engine smoke when it is running?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
no smoke at all and the engine runs fine

How about your transmission? Have you checked the fluid level?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
how do I check where the trany oil level? is there the same thing as a oil lever guage on the engine somewhere on the transmission area?oil seems to drop out very little (small oil spill on grass about 1 inch by 4 inch of black oil) from the front and bottom of the engine area but other times don't see a leak at all.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No smoke out of the exhaust at all when running an hour or so I see white puffy smoke come out at the front of the engine about where the water radiator hose area is but not sure where that is coming from

There should be a plate in the cab and a dipstick on top of the transmission.

Is your valve cover gasket leaking?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Will check on top of transmission this PM. Was thinking maybe it was a seal/gasket leak on the front bottom area of the oil pan. will check the valve cover gasket leak is that where the oil pan fits onto the bottom of the engine?

Valve cover gasket is on top of the engine probably where your seeing the white puffy smoke coming from

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Checked transmission dipstick - has clean clear oil and it is full to Max (engine oil looks more black)
Expert:  Bradley Martin replied 8 months ago.

Check the valve cover gasket on top of the engine while it it running see how much oil is coming out

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
will check when running - will let you know if it is leaking, thanks

Any news today?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
HI Bradley,I started the tractor - valve cover gasket had no oil coming out. But I did notice oil was flowing out of oil dipstick area - I went to tractor store and bought a new dipstick which has rubber at the tip and will definitely keep oil drip out and I ordered the oil fill cap cause the rubber piece in the cap was worn flat and there was some oil not much coming out of there when engine was running. I will pick that up today. I did see up front under the engine in front of the oil pan area a hose about 1/2 wide that did have a little small flow of oil not much but it seemed that in air type of hose just a little oil was also coming out but it was very little drip not pouring out. Will put the new cap on the oil (where a lil oil was coming out while running) and the new oil dipstick were some oil was coming out seemed that the top of the dipstick had no good fit and oil could definitely flow out some cause the top of the dipstick didn't fit tight into the dipstick tube and the top of the dip stick had a lil opening that could allow oil to come out there was a little oil flow about 1/4 wide and flowed all the way to the bottom of the oil pan. But wondering if maybe the oil is starting to be pushed out here and there due to oil blow by - but the tractor engine starts and runs super good? Your thoughts - wonder if maybe it may need piston rings I hope not...

To check for blow by crank the engine and take the oil fill cap off and put your hand over where the cap goes if it blows your hand off more than likely you have a piston ring problem or a head problem also please rate me when you have a chance

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
will check the blowby situation - I did buy a oil fill cap that had a rubber seal that is much better than the old oil cap that was loose. - Will crank and check - I am starting to think it is a piston ring issue - if it is a piston ring issue can the rings be replaced by taking off the oil type pan - and not splitting the tractor in half cause I was told just separating the tractor was a $1200 cost

If the frame is that in the way of the oil pan you should be ok but you will have to pull the head off to get the pistons out I would remove all engine coves before I tried pulling the head off

Let me know if you need any more info and please rate me when you get a chance