Dan, Technician
Experience:  17+ yrs. shop and field experience with all major brands of heavy equipment, trucks and farm equipment - 1995 WyoTech graduate.
65405794

My Deere 4320 Tractor ejected an IFS pump (broken retainer

Customer Question

My Deere 4320 Tractor ejected an IFS pump (broken retainer clamp). The pump has been removed and the plunger is not stuck or seized. Deere dtac has cases of such failures. We are trying to understand root cause of such a failure. Could the CPN have hydrolocked? If so, what would cause that?
Thanks, Bruce
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  Dan replied 9 months ago.

Hi Bruce my name is***** will try to help. What is the engine id tag information and pump information?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Dan,
Not sure what you want, here is info I have. Tractor Serial # ***** Purchased in Jan 2005 so probably manufactured late 2004. Unit Pump part number is ***** Let me know specifically what other information you need and I will get it. Attached are pictures of the pump showing numbers.
Bruce
Expert:  Dan replied 9 months ago.

Thanks for the info Bruce. So to be sure we are on the same page, the injection pump came out of the head while running. Was the hold down broken or loose when this happened? After inspection and failure analysis of the pump what was found?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Injection pump cam out of the block while the engine was running. Hold down broke (broken bolt picture attached). This allowed the fuel pump to fill the crank case with diesel and the engine died for lack of fuel. The crank case vented the oil/diesel mixture out the blowby tube so the engine did not hydrolock.
Pump seems to be functional. Plunger is not stuck (see picture), it slides out and in easily. Cold advance piston in the pump roller tappet will not slide back into the tappet. Don't know why.
I am taking the pump to the local Stanadyne dealer to have them determine if it is repair or replace and hopefully give me some ideas of root cause for the ejection. Will be end of week before I get that. Stanadyne has sold over 500,000 of these systems since they came on the market in 2004. JD has used them in a number of their compact tractors as well as their stationary generators, etc. So there should be a service history.
Expert:  Dan replied 9 months ago.

Thanks for the Pictures. I would get the inspection done on the pump first as the hold down bolt could have loosened and then fatigued. There are marks on the bolt shoulder indicating some rubbing from the hold down which looks like the injector was running loose in the bore before failure. Let me know