Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager on multiple lines of equipment and rental equipment.
30244710

Have JD 855, dad did little maintenence, used it a few times

Customer Question

have JD 855, dad did little maintenence, used it a few times in 8 yrs. We live 3000 ft, Sierra mountain foothills, CA. He gave it to me. I checked the fluids. Shocked the hydraulic fluid looked like milk. Condensation or someone put wrong fluid in there, or water getting in?. I drained it, got close to 4 gal and changed filter. Ran it, still milky. How do I fix it. If draining and changing fluid again, do I need to pull all hydraulic lines and drain them too. Any help should be super appreciated. Thanks Jon R... Please respond to E mail address ***@******.***
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Water in fluid most likely. Is the tractor been outside? Check the shift lever boots, the levers act like funnels . If the boots are cracked or broken, they let water in when it rains. Run a little while and let oil warm up, then change it again. It does have a strainer in the transmission suction line, to the pump that should be cleaned. See the part link below.