Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager on multiple lines of equipment and rental equipment.
30244710

, I have a Ford 2000 3 cyl. gas tractor. I recently

Customer Question

JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I have a Ford 2000 3 cyl. gas tractor. I recently replaced the starter motor which had bent teeth due to cranking while the engine was running (not the smartest day of my life). During the repair a wire came loose from somewhere, I think it came off of the solenoid. The other end was still attached and it went to the non-distributor terminal on the coil. I have a 4 terminal solenoid, two large terminals and two small terminals. Thinking that I would change as little as possible so I don't compound the error, I only attached the loose wire and I attached it to the empty small terminal on the solenoid. New battery. When the kyey is turned the dash lights come on but when the key is turned all way over to the "start" position -nothing-, no clicks from the solenoid, no sounds from the starter motor, nothing. I think I may have a bad component on top of my wiring error, but I am having a hard time finding a simple diagram to demonstrate how to wire the coil and solenoid correctly. Can you suggest some alternatives? GARY SCHAFERSMAN
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Technicians generally expect a deposit of about $54 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

The two wires in the coil , with a negative ground system, the negative side wire goes to the distributor, the posiitve side, which sounds like the loose wire you had, would have to go to the posiitve of battery and is usually direct to the keyswitch, and would be on the IGN, terminal of the keywitch, it does not go to the starter solenoid!

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

If a positive ground system, the only difference is the two wires on the coil. They would swap sides.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** try to find the "keyswitch" terminal and try to connect the loose wire to that. Since the switch is behind the gauge panel, I don't know that I will be able to track it but I will try and let you know. GARY
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Ok, I think that is where it goes, and without it, you get no power to the coil for start.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Starter solenoids small posts, one goes to keyswitch, STA terminal, and the other typically goes to ground on a four post solenoid. A three post solenoid grounds through the mounting.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Curtis,
Weather has kept me out of the barn for a few days but I am going to try to find the correct connection for that coil wire in the next few days and let you know if that helps. Fingers crossed.
GARY
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

OK> Thanks for reply!