spankyjr1
spankyjr1, Journeyman
Experience:  I worked on all types semis,forklifts,farm,fire,ect.
65057319

390 ferguson 4x4 4cylinder diesel the injector pump is not

Customer Question

390 ferguson 4x4 4cylinder diesel the injector pump is not supply ing fuel to the injectors I have bleed the pump and has plenty of fuel at the bleeder nipples but has little on none going to the head injectors does this mean a pump over haul
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  spankyjr1 replied 10 months ago.

Good morning, sorry for delay, my name is ***** ***** you for asking your question, I will try and help you out.

Has this been sitting for a time?

Have you checked power to shutdown solenoid?

If solenoid is bad or its not getting power either while cranking or when ignition on you won't get fuel past pump.

shutdown Solenoids are 1-3 wire located on injection pump.

Please let me know if you'd like to discuss this further...just click the reply button or use the reply box below to let me know.
If this has been helpful, please take a moment to use the stars at the top of the page to rate my personal service to you.

Questions or problems let me know I'm happy to assist.
Thank You,
spanky

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
hi the 390 massey ferguson is a 1991 model tractor has a simple injector pump not cut out just pull the stop lever no electrical connection to the pump cheers bob
Expert:  spankyjr1 replied 9 months ago.

You say you have low fuel flow out injection pump to lines, this can happen if your shutdown lever is not returning all the way to full off position for fuel, and a sticking fuel rack inside injection pump, this is why I asked if this has been sitting for some time which causes rack to freeze in no or little fuel position, seeing you had algae growth it tells me it has been sitting, if this is the case fuel pump needs to be replaced.

The only other thing that would cause this is low fuel pressure to the pump or air in fuel before the pump.

You can use a site glass before injection pump to see if you are getting air in fuel to pump, or run a line from fuel transfer pump directly into a container of fuel (5 gallon bucket) and see if you have a issue before pump restricting flow or getting air.

To me it sounds like rack is stuck inside injection pump which means injection pump needs to be rebuilt.

When you hold throttle in full fuel with one hand and move shutdown lever in other you should feel them fighting each other.

Midwest fuel injection can either rebuild yours or they have common pumps they have available for exchange so no waiting.

Click here for their web site to order rebuilt pump or get a exchange.

If this has been helpful, please take a moment to use the stars at the top of the page to rate my personal service to you or I get nothing for my time, all follow ups after rating are included in fee.

Thank You,
spanky