Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager on multiple lines of equipment and rental equipment.
30244710

I just bought a used 2000 JD 1600 lawn mower. It's a diesel.

Customer Question

I just bought a used 2000 JD 1600 lawn mower. It's a diesel. My problem is machine starts, runs only when key is in start position, release the key and it stops. Was told to check for power on the connection going to the fuel shut off solenoid. Unplugged connection on solenoid and on main electrical panel. With wires disconnected fuel hold light stays on with 11.7 volts. Reattached wires and engine starts and runs. I then switched engine off,now fuel hold light is very dim and not showing any voltage and I cannot get it to stay running. Any ideas ?
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 10 months ago.

# ***** is fuel pull in relay. Looking at the parts list, it shows a # ***** a repair wiring harness for pull in. I think you will find relay is not letting full voltage get to the fuel solenoid. You might check with Deere on the rework harness!

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
the problem is not the pull in but the hold circuit it will start but will not continue running

I miss stated the relays job. It is hold relay. Pull in is part of the starter circuit. Do you have voltage to the solenoid when key is on? Hold is always powered, pull in is only powered when start is selected.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The hold light was off then after a bit of playing with it the hold light came on, the machine started and ran. It was shut off then the hold light was very dim and the machine will not stay running. There is power on start in the start position, there is no power in the run position. Tried putting jumper wire from battery to solenoid and engine runs fine.

Sounds like bad relay.