Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager on multiple lines of equipment and rental equipment.
30244710

I have a 1947 Deere Model M that I am trying to get a rear

Customer Question

I have a 1947 John Deere Model M that I am trying to get a rear wheel off of to do some brake work.
Igot the big 2 inch dia nut off with a big lever on an appropriate sized wrench. However the wheel is stuck on the splines of the axle shaft. I don't have a welding torch to heat the wheel. I did fabricate a beefy wheel puller but it started to bend (so not beefy enough apparently).
I don't have a welding torch to heat the wheel.
How did the JD mechanics get stuck wheels off these old tractors?
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 11 months ago.

Wheel is on splined shaft. Have you oiled the shaft and tried to tap the wheel inward? Then clean the outer shaft with sandpaper and wire brush, Then tap it outward to get to the clean shaft. With the cast center, you can't get too aggressive or the hub will brake, I would try moving it inward, then use your puller.