Dan, Technician
Experience:  17+ yrs. shop and field experience with all major brands of heavy equipment, trucks and farm equipment - 1995 WyoTech graduate.
65405794

I've got a 350CE that is losing fluid from the transmission

Customer Question

I've got a 350CE that is losing fluid from the transmission and adding fluid to the reverser. Once it has transferred too much fluid, the machine will not track forward or backward. The issue has slowly but surely gotten worse, from having to manually transfer the fluid back to its correct sump 2-3 times per tank of fuel, to now almost immediately after the fluid have been transferred. I have an associates degree in diesel mechanics, so I'm not ignorant when it comes to this, but after doing some research (going to John Deere in Dallas, TX) I am aware that there was a handful of dozers the had been issued to the military that had reversers as well as wet clutches because the military thought if one failed the other would still be able to track the machine, which they were wrong so they quit making them shortly after they began making them. Is there any opinions that I could get reguarding my problem(s)?
Thanks, ***** *****
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  Dan replied 10 months ago.

Hi Waylon, My name is***** will be glad to try to help. These machines were known for reverser problems with clutches leaking and in some cases a blown seal overfilling the final drives. Ultimately this requires removal, disassembly, and bench repair of the reverser assembly I also recommend checking the steering clutch and reverser pressures to monitor where the pressure is dropping off to direct you in the right direction as to where the pressure loss/leak is. Check the clutch release pistons for steering as well. Click on this link for some more FYI about this issue. Let me know

350C