Dan, Technician
Experience:  17+ yrs. shop and field experience with all major brands of heavy equipment, trucks and farm equipment - 1995 WyoTech graduate.
65405794

I have an ih 464 that only steers to the left or straight

Customer Question

I have an ih 464 that only steers to the left or straight when turned to right you can hear hyd straining put on new hyd steering cyl no difference . lift front end with loader will steer farther every other hyd works with no problem
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  Dan replied 11 months ago.

Hi my name is***** will be glad to help. Check the filter/strainer and oil for metal debris casing a restriction of oil to the steering circuit and other internal problems. Try servicing and changing the oil and look for a plugged filter or screen. Also there may be a faulty steering valve as well. Click this link for more info. Let me know the results and if we need to dig deeper

Information

Expert:  Dan replied 11 months ago.

Hi Dave, Did you get this resolved?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
will not be able to look at tractor for a couple of weeks will let you know then
Expert:  Dan replied 11 months ago.

Thanks for the update Dave. Keep me posted

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
we had a chance to work on sunday there were no clogs in lines has new hyd filter we unhooked tie rods from wheels wheels turn easy it seems like more oil comes from one side line than other. whats the chance the problem is within the power steering hand pump that bolts to steering wheel? it will be a few weeks before can get back to it as it has the fuel tank out for repairs. the hyd filter hah no metal within it.
Expert:  Dan replied 10 months ago.

Hi Dave, Thanks for the update. I agree if the pump checks good supplying good pressure to the steering valve and the steering cylinders have no pressure bypass inside the cylinders then the steering valve is likely the problem.