Dan, Technician
Experience:  17+ yrs. shop and field experience with all major brands of heavy equipment, trucks and farm equipment - 1995 WyoTech graduate.
65405794

I am I have a 12.5 deere eng on shredder. my problem is we

Customer Question

hi I am jim I have a 12.5 john deere eng on wood shredder. my problem is we rebuilt this eng sleves head new injectors rods mains we had pull the head back off this eng and it had cracked the head in between the seats on the hole head what the problem and the solution to fix it
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is***** will be glad to try to help. What is your serial number?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it on a wood beast shredder can't make out serial no but it around 92 year model i told u wrong earlier. it is a duel rail fuel system that might be helpful
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the info. Could you possibly get the complete engine tag info? Model, etc.

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

I worked for Deere as a tech in the past but I need the engine info to be sure to give you the correct info for your engine and see if there are any known issues on this.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I could not find tag for serial no. I told youall it was a 12.5 duel fuel rail eng around 92 year model but I know they had some trouble with them and went to single rail that is about the only difference in these engs
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Hi James, I worked for Deere in the past and have rebuilt many engines. After the 6125 model number there are a series of letters and numbers needed to identify the correct engine and fuel system, etc. This information is also needed to be sure to get the correct parts. You did not have this info when ordering all the engine hard parts? If not then it is possible that your re builder used some wrong parts. Click on this link for the online parts catalog. Type a search for 6125. See how many different variations and serial numbers there are for this model engine. How do you know you got the correct parts if you do not have this info?

http://jdpc.deere.com/jdpc/servlet/com.deere.u90490.partscatalog.view.servlets.HomePageServlet_Alt

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we took parts to john deere delar ship the part numbers was on the parts they made two different styles of pistons with different oil ring sizes casting no on head all the numbers was there except injectors sent injectors to get ck and rebuilt to delfi authorized
dealer
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the update. Did you have these heads reworked and work done to the seats and guides? If so and the engine did not overheat, either the head was overtorqued or the machine work was not done correctly for the guides and seats to meet the spec of this engine. I would have another machine shop look at these heads. click on these two links for more info.

http://www.enginebuildermag.com/2003/04/valve-seat-installation-procedures/

http://www.enginebuildermag.com/2005/10/cylinder-head-crack-repairs/

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think u are all wet on your answer. worn guides and seats wont crack the heads on ever cylinder if the valves and seats r still
in the heads and are not broken r cylinder not missing. thanks for trying but that not the wright answer I been working on heavy equiptment for fifty years this is the first time I run in to this on head it didn't do it once it has done it twice on different heads
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the compliment. The only common link here is the person assembling the engine and possibly the machinist if both sets were done at the same machine shop. A proper failure analysis will determine the cause of your problem which I could do but not from here.What procedure was used to torque the heads? How much protrusion do you have on the liners? How much is the block deck out? All these specs need to be checked.... Something was assembled wrong or machined wrong and out of spec or overheated possibly both.