Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager on multiple lines of equipment and rental equipment.
30244710

What should I look I engage the pony motor on my 1959 Deere

Customer Question

What should I look for when I engage the pony motor on my 1959 John Deere 830 tractor and the gears make a grinding sound?
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

How does the starter bendix look that mates the flywheel? The gear may be stripped? It is not mating the flywheel ring gear. Or the engine ring gear may be the damaged gear! Have you looked at both gears? Or is the noise in the pony engine gears to the starter bendix?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It does not due it every time I start the diesel engine. I read in the manual that the engaging lever first engages the pony motor than the diesel engine. I shortened the distance that the engaging lever moves thinking this would more the bendix over onto the flywheel gear further.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

With the pony off, can you engage the gears? You may need to go the other way with the adjustment.