Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager on multiple lines of equipment and rental equipment.
30244710

My friend has a JD 1050 diesel. New battery. 12.7v to

Customer Question

Customer: Hi Dan. My name is ***** ***** my friend has a JD 1050 diesel. New battery. 12.7v to starter post. The green connector to the starter solenoid has 12v when key turned on. Starter doesn't even click. Opened panel to check ignition switch and see a female connector with solid red wires from main harness hanging free. Should this be attached to something, or is it for an accessory?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: JD 1050 diesel. New battery. 12.7v to starter post. The green connector to the starter solenoid has 12v when key turned on. Starter doesn't even click. Opened panel to check ignition switch and see a female connector with solid red wires from main harness hanging free. Should this be attached to something, or is it for an accessory?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Agriculture and Farm Equipment Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes, I can wait
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Looks like Dan is not on tonight. Could I help? If you jump the green wire to the battery cable terminal at the starter, do you get any starter action? If not the starter/solenoid is not making the connection and needs repair. The wire at the dash being loose is not something that needs to be attached. It is for accessory. Starter can be removed and bench tested.