Kevin
Kevin, Technician
Experience:  Over ten years of expirence in Ag Electronics and Hydraulics
32685367

4010 Deere Tractor ( No brakes) Good sterring & hydrolics

Customer Question

4010 John Deere Tractor ( No brakes) Good sterring & hydrolics
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I would like to help you with your question.

I have a few questions that will help me better understand the problem.

1. Did the problem come on all of a sudden or have the brakes been fading for some time?
  2. Are the brake pedals hard as if they should be working or do they depress all the way down with little resistance?
  3. Do both the left and right pedals respond the same?

Let me know when you have time and I will help you narrow down the source of the problem?

Thanks,

Kevin

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Keven
Both left and right respond with little resistance. I dont beleve there is any hyd. psi. to the pedals.
Hydrolic psi is 1750
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Keven
Hydrolic psi is 1750 on pump
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

The hydraulic pressure at the pump is actually rather low as it should be about 2,200 to 2,300 psi. Regardless if you have steering you should have functional brakes as well. The steering and brakes both pull their hydraulic off the same T fitting on the priority valve. If your steering is working normally then that would indicate that sufficient oil pressure is being provided via the priority valve. In this case one of the first easy checks would be to open the brake bleeder valves on the final drives and perform a brake bleed to ensure that no air has become trapped in the brake system. The following steps will walk you through the basic brake bleeding procedure.

1. Break the jam nuts free on both the left and right sides and turn the bleed screws out 1.5 to 2 turns. The oil will now be allowed to bleed back to the rear axle housing.
  2. Start the engine and operate at 1,500 rpm.
  3. Press and hold both the left and the right brake pedals down for two full minutes.
  4. While holding the brakes down tighten both left and right brake bleed screws. Make sure the bleed screws bottom out before the jam nuts contact the housing.
  5. Release the brake pedals and tighten the jam nuts.

When the bleed screws were tightened you should have felt the system pressure push the associated brake pedal back up to a higher position. If the brakes still fail to function we will need to verify that brake pressure is being supplied to the brake valve. Let me know what you are finding and I will gladly assist you with further diagnostics.

Thanks,

Kevin

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

I just wanted to check in to see if you had any luck with the brake bleed procedure. Let me know as I will gladly assist you with further diagnostics as needed.

Thanks,

Kevin