Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager on multiple lines of equipment and rental equipment.
30244710

My lx-188 won't crank,battery drains when not in use,

Customer Question

my lx-188 won't crank,battery drains when not in use, replaced the solenoid,need detailed instructions onpulling the starter
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Starter will not cause battery to run down. Do you have a voltmeter to test the charging system? Usually if the battery is being charged when engine is running, the voltage regulator is bad, and would let voltage flow back to alternator when key is off, running battery down.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This has been a progressive failure. Initially, the John Deere LX188 would not start after sitting for several days. A boost to the NEW battery would cause the starter to turn over, and it would start immediately. I could then use it all day, and turn it off a hundred times, and it would start right up. As soon as I let it sit for a few days, it wouldn't turn over unless I boosted the battery. As time progressed, boost to battery produced only a groaning in the starter - not turning it over. As the battery ran down, eventually starter would "turn over" one time and John Deere would start, but I didn't dare turn it off, because it wouldn't turn over even when engine was warm. John Deere told me it was the solenoid. I replaced the solenoid and when I went to re-attach the battery cable sparks flew and the starter started groaning /churing. I noticed there is a bare copper wire coming out of the starter to the solenoid. I need repair information on how to pull the starter and replace the starter. Do I also need a starter relay kit?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Additionally, sometimes when I turned the key on to activate the starter, nothing at all would happen. If I jiggled around on the tractor, eventually, the starter would engage. Other times, when I turned the key on, the starter would engage, but when I turned the key off, the starter would keep cranking and cranking, even when I got off the seat, engaged the blades, kicked the tires - it just wouldn't stop cranking.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My concern is . . . that there is more than one thing wrong with my John Deere LX188. Is there a short somewhere between the key and the starter? What caused the coating on the heavy copper wire that goes from the starter to the solenoid to melt (??) off? I LOVE this tractor. I have the snow blower attachment and my DR cyclone rake attaches to this tractor. I don't want to junk this tractor. I want to fix it and make it run again. I'm desperate!
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Page 7-18 shows starter removal/

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Starter being bad would heat up the cable.