Dan, Technician
Experience:  17+ yrs. shop and field experience with all major brands of heavy equipment, trucks and farm equipment - 1995 WyoTech graduate.
65405794

No power steering on a Tc 30 newholland

Customer Question

no power steering on a Tc 30 newholland
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I also do not know what the ps pressure is supposed to be
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is***** will be glad to try to help. Check the filter and oil for signs of fine metal indicating a component failure. If clean pressure test the steering cylinder for potential bypass internally. If ok then the problem is most likely internal with the steering motor itself. try deadheading the steering in one direction and run another function to see if it will bleed itself out and start working. Let me know if you find any metal in the filter element or system.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what should the pressure be ?
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

What is your serial number? I will have to do some digging for the correct specs

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i have 2 number dont know witch is the one N843-4-30-02 and 91844
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Check your relief valves and the divider valve for debris and damaged o rings as well. You should be seeing around 1700 PSI or 2100PSI range depending on if you have a single or double spool kit on your tractor for your hydraulics. This is at full throttle and the function deadheaded... I will see what I can find for specific steering specs and get back to you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what do you mean by deadhead ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i do not see a relief valve or divider lines go to from pump to the motor under the steering shaft to the cly.
the steering wheel just spins it does nothing even if the front tires are off the ground . I did check the spines on the shaft and the motor . The fluid is dirty with a black like paste in it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is that it are we done ? nothing is fixed
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I log in periodically as I am free throughout the day in between jobs and mornings and evenings. We can post back and forth as needed. Deadheading means to turn the steering to its end of travel so that the pressure goes to the relief setting to get the max reading. For cylinders you will extend them to the end of stroke. In all cases this allows you to read the circuit pressure.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok thanks . the wheels do not turn at all whith the steering wheel they will by hand very easy
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

I recommend flushing and cleaning the system thoroughly and inspecting the filter for signs of metal/debris.

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the info.... Check the cylinder for the possibility of pressure bypassing internally

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Disconnect the opposite side of the cylinder with it at the end of its stroke in one direction and see if it leaks out the other side. You can also pressure test with compressed air.... It should not leak to the other side beyond the piston seals

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

If the cyl tests ok then the problem is likely in the motor internally

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

i see you have a new pump

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok i will try those things i am flushing the syst now
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Sounds good. Let me know

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok system is flushed i di not see any metal just a black like sludge . i did put air to one side of the cyl and i got air out of the other line ,i turned the wheels the other way and did it again and i got air out of the other hose
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
would this cause the steering to go completely out ?
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Yes this is one cause as pressure pushes on one side of the piston to move the cylinder. You still need to confirm there is pressure going to the side of the cylinder depending on which direction you are steering as well

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there is very little pressure at the cyl ,there is fluid coming out
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the update.... You have a new pump, The cylinder has a bypass and should be resealed but I also think you have a problem internally with the motor. Id check to see if a reman is available. Let me know

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You are prob right it seems that I have little pressure any where I will check for a reman
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Pleasure to help.

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Let me know