Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager on multiple lines of equipment and rental equipment.
30244710

I also have a Yanmar tractor YM 1500, 2 cylinder. It won't

Customer Question

I also have a Yanmar tractor YM 1500, 2 cylinder. It won't stay running. I removed and replaced both the injector pump and one of the injectors as the other injector is stuck in place even after liberal application of WD 40 and PB Blaster. I replaced one new Yanmar shim under the injector pump to match the previous setup and replaced the governor? connection in exactly the same rail place on the new pump. I bled the tank, replaced all the rubber lines, fuel filter and bled the injectors. Did I somehow screw up the timing and what can I do now.
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Good morning. The timing is set by the shims under the pump body. As long as you have same as before, timing would not changed.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Do you have to bled the system to get tractor to run after it quits? Will it idle? Will it run at full throttle?

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Are the injector bodies in the pump turning freely?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't have to bleed the system after the engine dies. It usually starts right away. It idles and runs at full throttle (often with white smoke while warming up) for a short while before it dies. The injector pump is new and the throttle bodies moved freely when it was installed..
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Gravity flow or is there a fuel transfer pump between tank and pump? If gravity flow, I would want to check the fuel tank outlet. Can you use a fuel container and run engine out of container, bypassing the tank and outlet?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Gravity flow. The fuel runs freely from the tank into a fuel can. I can use a fuel container and run engine out of container, bypassing the tank and outlet but why? Fuel squirts out of the fuel line connections to the injector pump when they are loosened as the starter is cranking. Loosened fuel injector connections are wet with no visible air bubbles.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

My thoughts are the fuel is being restricted from tank or outlet line. Diesel engine only quits when it looses fuel or if it has electric shutoff, it could shutoff fuel. But I don't think this engine has electric shutoff.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Did you find problem?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not yet
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

If fuel is squirting at the injection lines, is the fuel quality there? No gas or water contamination? Are the glow plugs working? Are you getting smoke from exhaust when cranking? Have you tried a little starting fluid?