Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager on multiple lines of equipment and rental equipment.
30244710

I have a deere 870 tractor. s/n w00440x015642 the clutch is

Customer Question

I have a john deere 870 tractor. s/n w00440x015642 the clutch is bad. I can shove the shifter into gear (1st or reverse), but it wont stop moving even with the clutch pedal in. I adjusted the throw rod all the way out, but still nothing. is there another
way to adjust the clutch, or is it time to replace. also, I need instructions on clutch replacement. I have done many clutches before, but I don't know what I need to take off on this machine. thanks. kevin
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Will clutch pull the tractor, or is the clutch slipping? Do you have freeplay in the pedal travel?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
to start the machine, the clutch pedal must be pushed in and in neutral.
I can shove the gear stick into forward or reverse and the tractor starts moving, so I does pull the tractor .
there is no freeplay.
thanks. kevin
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Put some free play in the pedal travle,

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Put some freeplay in the pedal linkage, Then if it still wants to move, the clutch needs to be replaced.