Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager on multiple lines of equipment and rental equipment.
30244710

When the hyd fluid gets hot, the brakes fail in my jd 2640

Customer Question

When the hyd fluid gets hot, the brakes fail in my jd 2640 tractor. The pedals go all the way down as if no Fuild is getting into the cylinder. After cool down,works normal.
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  Derek Neustaeter replied 1 year ago.

Hello there! I am a qualified Heavy Equipment Technician here at Just Answer, I will help you diagnose and repair the problem you are having with your braking system on your 2640 John Deere Tractor.

I sounds like you are on the right track by looking at the transmission oil. The braking system on your tractor is filled by hydraulic fluid by a small pump. When you changed the transmission oil and screen, how did the oil look? Did you find any debris from an o-ring or seal? We will start with the basics and progress from there. Have you attempted to bleed the brake system? There should be a bleeder located near the either side of the differential. When the tractor is running, pump the brake several times, hold the pedal down, and loosen the bleed screw. Close the bleeder and then release the pedal. Complete this procedure several times in the exact order until there is no air being pushed out, only oil

Try this out and see if it solves your problem. If your problem persists the problem is likely your brake valve, there are a few check valves inside of the brake valve which can become worn and stick letting fluid past. Let me know if I can be of any more assistance to you, I hope this solves your problem!

Take care,
Derek