Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager on multiple lines of equipment and rental equipment.
30244710

I have a deere rider-It is a 1996 320.I was mowing yesterday

Customer Question

I have a John deere rider-It is a 1996 320.I was mowing yesterday and suddenly the engine stopped-It was not a "quick" stop-but a "winding down" stop.I had been mowing in a dusty area and at first-I thought the dust had "plugged up" the filters.So I cleaned the dust and grass from the screened filter and tried to start-nothing-the lights do not even go on.I checked the battery and it sparks and is at 12 volts.I checked fuses and they are good-I checked for loose connection and there was one loose connection which I reconnected and tried and the lights worked and the engine turned over for a second-then went completely dead again-Any ideas? Thanks Larry Harn
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Go back and check battery voltage and the cable connections. Battery has to be above 12.5 volts and not drop below 8 volts when key is turned to start.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Curtis:I cleaned the battery connections-charged the battery-12.7.Still no response-any other things to check? Larry Harn
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Will engine spin if you jump it at the starter solenoid?

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Battery should be over 13 volts if fully charged!