Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager on multiple lines of equipment and rental equipment.
30244710

Should you be able to turn the flywheel on a New holland

Customer Question

should you be able to turn the flywheel on a New holland tractor when it is off and in neutral?
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This add said it would answer my question quickly and I have been sitting here with no answer I want my money back if I am going to have wait my day away
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

YES, you should be able to turn the engine!

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Do you have battery voltage above 12.5 volts?

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

If you follow the battery cable to the starter solenoid, and jump from the posiitve cable terminal to the small switch terminal, will engine spin? This is quick test of battery, cables and starter.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have done that much already the starter may or may not be in gauging the flywheel i bench tested the starter its OK but when its on the tractor its just spinning i have a new Holland tc33 hydro-static transmission i tried to pull start it a couple of times I hope i didn't break something at the flywheel
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

I can call. but did you see my response?

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

When you had starter off, could you turn flywheel with screwdriver?

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Did bendix kick out on the starter when tested?

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

This tractor can NOT be pull started.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
on both of them
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Are you able to engage starter with key?

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

What is battery voltage with meter?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
its getting 11.5 volts from ignition switch to solenoid and its just spinning not in gauging the flywheel I installed a new starter and it makes the same sound it made me think it was turning the flywheel but not the engine like key is shear off the flywheel.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Try jumper cables to get battery voltage up. 11.5 volts is not enough to engage the starter.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok what is the preferred voltage
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have put my jumper box and hooked up my truck to the battery and it still does what I have described
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not getting 12v from the solenoid to the ignition switch
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
do you work specifically on new hollands?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

I was service manager for New Holland for 15 years.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok but did you work on them big difference
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

I work on everything!

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

If you want someone else I can opt out.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
since I bought this thing new it has had this problem I took it to the dealership and they kept it 3 months could not fix it and then had the audacity to charge me 300 dollars so I am leery of people
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I want my tractor fixed
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

You need a new dealer! Unacceptable!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Your telling me
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Check cables and connections to the starter, Has to be a reason full voltage is being lost.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is the only thing I have not replaced new. The positive with all the other wires has 12.5 going from the battery to the starter.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can the ground wire cause us to lose voltage to the started do to it being the ground? I have taken them off and cleaned the ends well with a wire brush and cleaner but it has not helped
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

What is battery voltage measured? Fully charged would be over 13 volts.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
12.5 exactly is all this battery has it is New Holland's and they say nothing is wrong with it so they gave us a new one voltage is still the same 12.5
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am losing voltage big time somewhere any idea's
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

What does your truck battery show? Take jumpers straight from truck battery to the starter and engine block, to see if starter works.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok this may mean nothing but my wife is anal every since we got this tractor when you are turning on the ignition keep and wait for the glow plug light to go out to even get it to hit you have to move that neutral handle around to get the starter to catch (for what it is worth)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok he has not done that he has only but them to the battery he went outside to do that for you
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

That would keep starter from doing anything, not let it motor and not engage the flywheel.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hmm so what could we do about that I told him all these years that was not right
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there a switch under there or a fuse link or does it need an alignment?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Neutral switch needs replacement!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok I can understand that, the handle has always been sloppy is there a way to tighten it up so that we do not have to go through this any longer moving it around to start the tractor
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

It may have loose bolts or could have excessive clearance, just look for the play and see.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He just came in and said he did what you asked hooked the truck directly to the solenoid and nothing
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He just told me he never could find the neutral safety switch so it has never been changed please tell him where it is located and thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
did we lose you
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

# ***** i s the only neutral switch I see.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We will look that up how do we talk again with you if we need to I don't want to speak to someone else you seem like you know what you are talking about
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

OK, so starter did not work from truck,???

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No sir
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

I should have done something!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
he said it just clicks but when he pushed the started button he installed directly to the starter for testing purposes it made a spinning sound but ignition just went click click
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Maybe starter is bad!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
bench tested 2 and both good one is completely new and the other acts just like the new one
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Makes no sense. Could battery be backwards? Post not reversed?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no it is hooked up correctly now you know why we are pulling our hair out. He says he is also getting power to the neutral switches down there he says we have 2 down there
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Has to be battery or cable problem!

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Nothing else to cause problem.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
to many damn safety switches and wiring on these damn tractors they are an imported piece of junk
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

YEs, too much @#$% to be reliable!