Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager on multiple lines of equipment and rental equipment.
30244710

I have a 1996 3930 New Holland/ Ford tractor. About this

Customer Question

I have a 1996 3930 New Holland/ Ford tractor. About this time (mid Sept) last year after raking hay for a while my son shut it off to wait to go to next field. After a few hours we were ready to get started back. I got on tractor and he had left switch key on, I took the bad fuel shutoff solenoid out several years ago and use pull cord for manual kill, so I though the battery was dead; I tried to jump off and all the starter would make only a clicking sound. We pulled it off and finished raking hay, after we finished with hay I went and bought a new battery: the old one was 30 months old, still would not start only clicking starter. I brought it home and parked it in the barn. Over the next several weeks I tried to crank it a couple times, still clicking starter. Sometime in mid-Dec I was going to add some antifreeze and I turned key and it started right up and it has started up ever time this whole year through 5 hay rakings and several bush hogging’s, till yesterday it cranked in the morning and when I stopped for lunch and went back and hit key and only starter clicking. Pulled it off and when we stopped late yesterday I shut it off and hit key and only starter click, same thing this morning. I talked to one dealer this morning and the service manager told me that his ford mechanic was not there and was on vacation through next week, he told me that he remembers that he though there is a bypass kit for the wiring harness connecter block that put more amps to starter. He also that me the switch key cylinder could be bad. Another dealer parts man, with 13 years’ experience, said he had not heard of a bypass kit. Do you have any idea what the diagnoses might be? I am having a hard time thinking the starter might be bad since when it is working it cranks so well, however, the starter solenoid could be the problem and the starter needs to be rebuilt. Ben Hicks phone:(###) ###-####email***@******.***
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Can you jump the positive terminal on the solenoid , to the switch terminal on the same solenoid? If starter engages, you are not getting full battery voltage to the switch terminal.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

If it just clicks, the solenoid/starter is bad.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Additional info: My wife had just finished bus hogging and came in the house and told me the tractor was outside running. I was posing my question to you, so she got tired of waiting and when I outside after I sent my question; she had turned the tractor off. I thought I would just try to crank, hit key crank right up like nothing wrong; turned off and crank up three times like no problem.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is the positive terminal the one the battery connects to?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Ye, the positive terminal is the battery cable terminal.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did you fully read my first question, I made a statement about the solenoid/starter? Did you also read the additional info I sent: My wife had just finished bus hogging and came in the house and told me the tractor was outside running. I was posing my question to you, so she got tired of waiting and when I outside after I sent my question; she had turned the tractor off. I thought I would just try to crank, hit key crank right up like nothing wrong; turned off and crank up three times like no problem.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also it appears to me that you would not be identifying where and what the problem would be when you jump the solenoid?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

I read the response. Jumping the solenoid when it acts up, tells if it is the solenoid, or if it is lack of voltage to the solenoid. .

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Lack of voltage will be bad connection or bad keyswitch.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tell me why it stopped all-of-a-sudden yesterday and started back-all-of a sudden today as I said in the additional info I sent: My wife had just finished bush hogging and came in the house and told me the tractor was outside running. I was posing my question to you, so she got tired of waiting and when I outside after I sent my question; she had turned the tractor off. I thought I would just try to crank, hit key crank right up like nothing wrong; turned off and crank up three times like no problem.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

I thought problem was just would not restart.?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry if I confused you, what I meant was stopped cranking and then started cranking. It is somewhat obvious to me that you are not familiar with the New Holland/Ford 3930 and the history of cranking problems they have had. There again you are not reading my statements close enough.
Tell me why it stopped cranking all-of-a-sudden yesterday and started back cranking all-of a sudden today as I said in the additional info I sent: My wife had just finished bush hogging and came in the house and told me the tractor was outside running. I was posing my question to you, so she got tired of waiting and when I outside after I sent my question; she had turned the tractor off. I thought I would just try to crank, hit key crank right up like nothing wrong; turned off and crank up three times like no problem.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

I'm not confused. With intermittent problem it can be frustrating. You have bad connection or solenoid problem. I was service manager for New Holland dealer for only 15 years.