spankyjr1
spankyjr1, Journeyman
Experience:  I worked on all types semis,forklifts,farm,fire,ect.
65057319

On a Perkins engine, in a 471 Massey Ferguson, I have

Customer Question

On a Perkins engine, in a 471 Massey Ferguson, I have removed the ijection pump and did not have the Engine in time. How do I time the pump and the engine? Thes numbers are on the side of the head. 2161/200
RE 37827-B501962L
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  spankyjr1 replied 1 year ago.

Good morning, sorry for delay, my name is ***** ***** you for asking your question, I will try and help you out.

Is the pump drive shaft (the part that goes into the gear held on with a nut to gear) keyed or have a keyway?

If yes it has a keyway I'll give you directions just let me know.

If no key way can you get me numbers off injection pump please?

Let me know

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The pump does not have a key way, it is a tapered shaft, I think it is a Bosch Pump,,,,it is just like the ones on a VW . I will have to go look for a number.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I really just need to know how to get the crank on TDC.
Expert:  spankyjr1 replied 1 year ago.

Rotate engine in direction of rotation,,watch for valve overlap on number one cylinder,,line up mark on dampner or flywheel,,then rotate engine one revolution in same direction to the same mark.

You will now be on number 1 TDC on compression stroke.

The injection pump comes back already set up for number 1 cylinder and ready to be installed.

If you can get me the engine or fuel pump info I can try and find a installation step by step in the manual.

Let me know

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The problem is that their is no mark on the crank or flywheel for TDC, some diesels, JD and Cat have a hole in the flywheel for a lock pin,,,,I can not find one on this engine.
Expert:  spankyjr1 replied 1 year ago.

Okay what Perkins engine do you have?

You still will need to pull valve cover and watch for valve overlap to find TDC on compression stroke like I explained.

Expert:  spankyjr1 replied 1 year ago.

Don't worry about mark right now until I get the directions but still get her on number one so its close

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I found someone that knows...it pins in front of the engine between the cam and crank gear....thanks
Expert:  spankyjr1 replied 1 year ago.

Sounds good happy to hear you found it.

Good luck