Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager on multiple lines of equipment and rental equipment.
30244710

I have a x300r, she starts and runs fine but the blades

Customer Question

Hi, I have a x300r, she starts and runs fine but the blades won't start! I used it as normal, parked it up, went to it 4 days later and nothing when I lift the pto switch, my hearing is not good, but my wife assures me there is no clicking sound coming from the pto area.
I have tested the safety switches, ie got out of the seat with brake on and off, tried to start engine without brake depressed and tried to start engine with pto switch up, all seem to ok.
Kind regards
Phil
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Deere uses a relay to keep pto on. It has two relays, # ***** , one is the pto relay.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

http://jdpc.deere.com/pimages/PU03/PU03467________UN16DEC10.gif

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Relays are the same, you could swap for test, or follow wire colors for pto.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Curtis, I followed the wires from pto to relay, swapped them over, still no power at pto, then followed other relay, which goes to brake switch and blocked chute sensor, so presumably they need to work in tandem? Is there anyway of short circuiting one or testing them?
Phil
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Relay has diagram on the side. Use volt/ohm meter to test.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Have you checked for voltage at the clutch harness?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Both relays seem to test ok, there are two wires which come out of the clutch into a block connector, I'm testing for voltage at that point, but still no power
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Follow wire colors from the clutch connection and see where they go. Wires may be damaged!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've checked all visible wires along the whole of the wiring loom, no damaged wires.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Did you follow the wire colors?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I followed the wire colours and checked all others that were visible also
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Did you probe the wires for voltage?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've tested at every block connector and relay, can't get voltage at any of the pto wires.
The wires are as follows, a red and a black from clutch, into a block connector, then leave as a blue and a black, black then goes to common connector with 3 other blacks, two then go one to each relay and the third goes to pressure switch.
The blue goes to a relay, another blue leaves the relay and goes to the pressure switch, I can't get voltage at any of these points. I have the ignition key in run position, but engine not running, the brake off, the pto switch engaged and the wife sat in the seat.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Battery voltage to the pto switch? Power has to be there, before it goes to relay or clutch.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
power at the pto switch
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Power out?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Power out on the grey wire which goes to the electronic control unit, nothing out on the blue wire, the two purple wires are reading 200 mv, not sure what that's all about! I've broken the end off my voltmeter so will need to get another one tomorrow after work, will be in touch then.