Kevin
Kevin, Technician
Experience:  Over ten years of expirence in Ag Electronics and Hydraulics
32685367

On my 1953 JD model, bad grinding noise when I engage the

Customer Question

On my 1953 JD model B, bad grinding noise when I engage the clutch (?? that is, pull he lever back).
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I can help you with your question.

If the noise is most audible with the clutch lever pulled back then the problem is related to the release side. The first item to check is crank shaft end play. This is simple, engage the clutch and try pushing and pulling the clutch pulley in and out by hand. If your tractor is hand start or early enough to be open flywheel perform this test on the flywheel instead of the pulley. You should have no more then 0.060" of end play. If you have more then 1/32" then the clutch is pulling the crank and making clutch parts and the oil slinger potentially rub where it should not.

If the end play checks all good then remove the three castle nuts on the belt pulley and the outer clutch discs and hub. Next remove the bolt from the center of the crank and use a puller to remove the clutch hub. Inspect the inner clutch fiber disc to make sure it is not worn excessively (people often fail to replace this disc due to the added difficulty of replacement). If everything is looking good then remove the four bolts that hold the clutch lever housing to the right side engine housing. Remove the lever pin and pull the housing and fork assembly out. Inspect the fork assembly for excessive wear. Next grab onto the belt pulley and pull it off the crankshaft. Inspect the center bushing and the gear for signs of abnormal wear or rubbing on the housing.

If at this point the problem has not jumped out at you let me know and I will gladly assist you with further diagnostics.

Thanks,

Kevin