Kevin
Kevin, Technician
Experience:  Over ten years of expirence in Ag Electronics and Hydraulics
32685367

9320 jd tractot will not start without lots of ether. jd

Customer Question

9320 jd tractot will not start without lots of ether. jd mechanics put in some fuel check valves etc, Now they say it needs new injectors for around $8000. Are they correct?
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I can help you with your question.

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

First off if the tractor runs fine AFTER you get it started then the injectors are NOT the problem.

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

It sounds more like you have a fuel bleed back problem. Bleed back is not caused by injectors but rather injector cups. If the tractor fails to start after sitting for bit but runs fine and operates fine then you have a minor leak. If the tractor dies while running and must be primed again to run then compression gas most likely being pushed into the fuel rail due to a leaking injector cup. Now I should point out that if the problem is caused by compression gas leaking between the injector and the cup it can damage the injector and require it being replaced. While Deere recommends replacing all injectors if it has less then 2,500 hours on the current injectors you can replace only the failed injector.

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Ok, next, $8,000 is WAY to much to have the injectors replaced. While the injectors themselves are expensive the absolute maximum cost with installation labor is $6,000. It takes about 8 to 10 hours to swap out a full set of injectors and cups.

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Check to see if there are any signs of fuel in the coolant, or coolant in the water separator on the filter housing. If the injector cup o-rings fail the fluids will often swap. This is a much less expensive repair if the injector cups need to be replaced. It is also fairly common for the primary filter housing to crack. Another possible cause is that you don't actually have a bleed back problem but rather the high or low pressure regulating valves in the filter housing have failed preventing enough fuel pressure from being produced while cranking. When you either the engine the fuel transfer pump spins faster and eventually produces enough pressure to start the engine. If you pinch off the fuel return line on the filter housing and the tractor starts without either then the low pressure regulating valve in the filter housing is failed (be sure not to run engine with the return line pinched off).

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

One more easy item to check. If you pull the main cartridge fuel filter out of the housing and it is completely black from the bottom to the top then you most likely are getting compression gas into the fuel rail. This fuel filter normally turns dark starting at the bottom and working its way to the top so if the upper portion of the filter is still clean looking then it is unlikely that there is any need for the injectors to be replaced.

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

In short we want to make sure that we rule everything else out before replacing the injectors.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Thanks,

Kevin

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if you need any additional information.

Thanks,

Kevin