Kevin
Kevin, Technician
Experience:  Over ten years of expirence in Ag Electronics and Hydraulics
32685367

I've got a Deere 5310 that suddenly won't go into second

Customer Question

Kevin,
I've got a John Deere 5310 that suddenly won't go into second gear and just barely goes into reverse. It don't matter what gear range it's in or if the clutch is depressed or not. It slips easliy into first and third. Any ideas? I hate to have to transport it to the dealer if it's something simple but I suspect it's somthing simple but very hard to get to.
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Basically 2nd and reverse share the same shift rail, shift fork, and shift collar. Since 1st and 3rd work fine we know that the roll pins in the bottom of the shift lever housing are still good. We also know that the ball on the end of the shift lever is intact and it's retain pins are in place and tight. More then likely the roll pin in the shift fork itself has sheared or the pin that attaches to the shift rail shifter end. The below link will give you an idea of how the shift linkage is setup.

LVP2642________UN19FEB01.gif

By pulling the shift cover off the tractor you can inspect the shift fork, and rail assembly. The roll pins in the shift for can sometimes be replaced without splitting the tractor. Unfortunately the retaining pin on the rear of the shift rail requires that the tractor be split in most cases.

It shouldn't be a very expensive fix but could be a time consuming one if the tractor needs to be split.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Thanks,

Kevin