dieseldan55
dieseldan55, Mechanic
Experience:  Road mechanic for Volvo Construction Equipment.
11640745

I ran my hyd. Pump dry after springing a leak while

Customer Question

I ran my hyd. Pump dry after springing a leak while shredding. Now that I have fixed the leak and have re filled the resevor with fluid but have no hyd. Pressure now. What could be the problem?
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is on a 1640 JD tractor
Expert:  dieseldan55 replied 1 year ago.

More than likely you have damaged the pump. When the pump runs dry, it will quickly score the tight clearance areas due to cavitation, heat, and lack of lubrication. You could remove the pressure hose from the pump and place it in a bucket with one end still connected to pump output. Turn the engine over for a few seconds and then observe the contecnts in bucket. Most likely the bucket will be dry indicating the pump needs to come out. I have had some air bound though that doing this allowed them to purge themselves so its a last resort. Alternativley you can just run the pressure check point connection using a hose in a bucket to purge air that way too.