Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager on multiple lines of equipment and rental equipment.
30244710

Curtis - my 71 IH 454 stopped lifting in the rear, the PTO

Customer Question

Hey Curtis - my 71 IH 454 stopped lifting in the rear, the PTO stopped, and so did the power steering. I figured it was the hydraulic fluid, so I put more in it (a week later) and the rear lifted immediately...it got some of it's power steering back and the PTO started, ran great for about 5 minutes, then went back to not working. Any ideas? Think the lines have air in them?
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is this a chat??
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok, i guess not. I'll find my answer elsewhere. thanks.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Did you get your answer? Looking at the system, Where is your hydraulic pump? Side mounted? Pump runs hydraulics and steering. Pump may be sucking air, or it can be worn out.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not sure where it is. If it's next to the filter, then yes, it's on the side. I'm going to go out next week and try and bleed the lines of air. I believe the pump is still working because my PTO still works (though intermittently). I hope I don't need a new pump.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Pump can be sucking air! Check hoses to it.