dd85
dd85, Foreman
Experience:  Service manger for over 18 years in same Dealership
15057492

I have a Super C 53 that I have not been able to start

Customer Question

I have a Super C 53 that I have not been able to start for a couple months. It does crank fine and is getting gas but will not start. I have replaced the plugs, condenser, coil and cleaned the carburetor and replaced the gas. Not sure what else to look at.
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've had the tractor 10 years since obtained from a fella that refurbed it from East Texas. It has run well up until a couple of years ago, although the alternator has not kept the battery charged and I have used a charger to keep 3 batteries charged over the last 10 years. A couple of years ago it would run weaker, but still brush hogged and only quit occasionally.I got a new 12V battery last year (it was converted to 12V neg ground when I bought it), and last year it mostly sat since it was dry and few weeds to mow. Last fall it ran but was missing and wouldn't pull much, and may have had a couple of wires crossed. This Spring, was popping and spitting back through the intake slobbering oil out, but would turn over well with a new battery charge, just wouldn't start.About a month ago, I drained the gas, soaked the carburetor, put new plugs in, new points and condensor, blew the passages out in the carburetor, and put everything back together, double checked the plugs wires, and ordered them to fire, 1,4,3,2 as per the block. Had good flow of gas out of the front drain plug on the zenith carb. Checked the wiring from the pull switch through the resistor to the 12 V coil, and tried to fire it off. Doesn't chuff back through the intake any more, turns over real well, but didn't fire. Put a new coil on and checked the point gap to the .20 feeler gauge and seemed like it wanted to fire, but no go. Looked like a fair spark on the inline light tester to one of the plugs. The old distributor cap seemed to have some sparks around when I tried to start it at dusk, looking for leakage of fire.This morning, I cleaned the contacts where the power feed wire to the switch draws from a terminal on top of the starter solenoid. Made sure the terminals were bright and tight. Put the old distributor cap back on with some dielectric around the cap to plug wire domes. Spun it over and when I stopped it had a loud backfire. Went to crain it again, with and without the choke, and when it stopped spinning over, loud backfires, with soot chunks out of the exhaust. Blew the rain cap off before I quit.Pulled all of the intake and muffler caps off, and pulled the valve cover off to check out the valves. Everything looked in place and well oiled. I cranked it over just to see if all valve stems moved and they did. Put the cover back on and then readjusted the breaker gap as it was too large. Noticed the coil was hot but figured that was due to the large gap maybe?I have a new distributor cap coming, but can't find another condensor for the IH distributor ..898R1.
Expert:  dd85 replied 1 year ago.

Check the air cleaner, or take the air cleaner line off at the carb. The air cleaner will fill with water and cause the engine to flood.

Expert:  dd85 replied 1 year ago.

I am showing the Condenser to be part # 353903R92 is available at IH or O'Reilly auto part #HG5

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well tried that and it still didn't start. Will put a new condenser on tomorrow and see what happens
Expert:  dd85 replied 1 year ago.

Take the coil wire out of the distributer cap. Place it close to a bare metal (gound) crank the engine over. See what the spark looks like. This checks the coil, points, and condenser.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have a new #2 ground strap from the negative 12V terminal to the top starter bolt.
Took the coil wire from the distributor and placed close to the oil filter base plate.... cranked and had weak 1/8 to 3/16 inch yellow sparks.
Solenoid released after a few seconds cranking.
Expert:  dd85 replied 1 year ago.

Okay weak spark.

try the condenser, see if it helps.

Do the points look good? or burnt?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay, I rolled the engine over to where the #1 cylinder is at TDC (verified with the plug out). The distributor bug is pointing to about 8 oclock, whereas the tower and wire going to the number 1 cylinder lines up at around 10 oclock. What gives?
Expert:  dd85 replied 1 year ago.

Try turning the engine 1 more full turn TFC can be compression or exhaust.

Expert:  dd85 replied 1 year ago.

sorry TDC