spankyjr1
spankyjr1, Journeyman
Experience:  I worked on all types semis,forklifts,farm,fire,ect.
65057319

Case 1680 combine. Cummins 6TA-830 engine. Engine will not

Customer Question

Case 1680 combine. Cummins 6TA-830 engine. Engine will not start. Fuel is flowing through injection pump. Pump is turning. No fuel to injector lines. Any ideas??
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it all started when the combine lost power intermittently during heavy load. it seemed like classic fuel filter issue. the fuel filter only had 50 hours on it but I replaced it anyway and couldn't restart it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I bled the air from the system. both primary and secondary filter. and bled through the injection pump through the return side of the injection pump
Expert:  spankyjr1 replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is ***** ***** you for your question.
Sorry for delay.
It sounds like you have no power to shutdown solenoid on injection pump or shutdown solenoid is bad.
This will cause all your symptoms having good fuel through pump but no fuel out of lines.
Check for power to shutdown solenoid with ignition on and during cranking,,you need both.
If okay replace shutdown solenoid.
Questions or problems let me know I'm happy to assist.
A rating is required. You’re rating my personal service to you, not Just Answer. I am not an employee of this website, nor do
I have control over the fees or the time it took for you to get a response. I respond as soon as I see the questions in the order
that I receive them when I am online.
Also rating does not close your question, it just assures Just answer credits me,,, has nothing to do with you.You can continue
to follow up as long as needed even after rating
Thanks spanky
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That seems logical except this engine has a mechanical fuel shutoff. To shut engine down you move the throttle lever all the way back. There is no electric solenoid. Any ideas?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How does mechanical shutoff work? Could that still be the problem,?
Expert:  spankyjr1 replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for delay.
Okay some are manually operated instead of electric to shut down like you have, and yes it can still cause your issue.
What I would like you to try and if you can do this by fuel pump do there,,you may have to disconnect linkage,,hold throttle wide open (with engine off) then move shutdown lever both ways,,you should feel resistance of shutdown lever overcoming the spring pressure of throttle springs,,,you may have to do several times to get a feel for it.
Do you feel anything when doing this?
When you move shutdown lever to shut engine down, internally in fuel pump you are mechanically moving fuel rack to the no fuel position,,this is where you are stuck,,, in the no fuel position,, so no fuel comes out lines.
Make sure throttle linkage is tight on throttle shaft,
Let me know if you feel that.
Expert:  spankyjr1 replied 1 year ago.
Hi I'm just following up to see if you were satisfied with my answer.
Please keep in mind that even though you have already paid your deposit money
over to JustAnswer, or you may be a subscriber, until you rate me highly for my service,
I will not be paid for having assisted you with your questions.
Thanks
spanky