Kevin
Kevin, Technician
Experience:  Over ten years of expirence in Ag Electronics and Hydraulics
32685367

I am replacing a starter on a Deere 5400 tractor and would

Customer Question

I am replacing a starter on a John Deere 5400 tractor and would like to know what other parts must be removed to get the starter out and the new one in???
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I can help you with your question.

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

The starter isn't too bad to change. Yours looks like it might fall into the early category which would mean that it is one of the easiest to change. On early tractors after disconnecting the cables the only other piece that needs to be removed is the dipstick tube. It is a tight squeeze but it will wiggle out after removing the retaining hardware. If the tractor is a later machine (Deere doesn't specify what year they made the change) the hydraulic line going into the top of the front pump will be in the way. If this is the case the pipe will need to be disconnected from the pump. You will also need to remove the line clamp holding the small power steering line under the main pump. Disconnect the line for the power steering under the main hydraulic pump. You can then flex the lines far enough out of the way to wiggle the pump out.

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Despite how it looks you do not need to remove the main hydraulic pump to get the starter out. Now all that being said if the tractor has a loader on it that is where it gets difficult. The loader side frame makes it too tight to get the power steering line and main pump line moved far enough to get the starter out. In this case the right side loader frame will need to be removed in order to put the pump in with out bending the lines.

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

I will note that removing the fuel filter from the housing may gain you a little room to maneuver the pump into position. I know it is a squeeze but I can assure you that it can be done with out removing the hydraulic pump even if you have the high volume pump. I can say from experience that you may have to slightly bend the power steering line to sneak it out but not on all machines. If you are in need of any additional information please reply before rating this question.

Thanks,

Kevin

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
I will be available on and off tomorrow so please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.
Thanks,
Kevin