Kevin
Kevin, Technician
Experience:  Over ten years of expirence in Ag Electronics and Hydraulics
32685367

Hydro charge pressure light and separator pressure light are

Customer Question

Hydro charge pressure light and separator pressure light are on in my 9600 John Deere combine. Can not move.
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I would like to help you with your question.

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Will the seperator still engage or unload auger?

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

If your hydraulics all work, and the seperator still engages then the engine gearcase is functioning correctly and the hydro, and hydrostatic charge pump are spinning. The hydro charge pump is the pump that the filter screws onto. The pump pulls oil through a screen in the hydraulic reservoir and pushes the oil through the attached filter and then into the main hydrostatic pump. There is a test port on the side of the charge pump, at full throttle the pressure should be above 225 psi although the machine will still move with 100 psi or more just not properly. I will also note that if your machine is equipted with 4wd make sure that it is turned off as a large internal leak in the 4wd can cause a failure to move and low charge pump pressure.

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

It is rare for the hydro charge pump itself to fail with out the hydro being damaged.

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know what you are seeing and I will gladly assist you with further diagnostics as needed.

Thanks,

Kevin

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The seperator will not engage. I unloaded the grain at the end of the field. Turned around to go back in, seperator would not engage. (Buzzer). I could still move the machine. I changed the filter. Seperator would still not engage and the machine would not move
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Ok, that narrows it down to a couple possible faults. The most common fault that would describe the symptoms is that the engine gearcase coupler on the flywheel has failed. If the engine gearcase coupler has failed the pulley that drives the unload system on the engine gearcase will not spin, or will spin very slowly. The engine gearcase coupler is a rubber coupler that acts as a dampener. Typically what happens is the engine rear main, engine gearcase input seal, or pan gasket start leaking into the cavity/bell housing between the engine and engine gear case. The oil cases the rubber coupler to become soft and come apart. If you pull the plastic plugs under the fuel filter where a turning tool would be inserted and find the plugs wet with oil or full of little pieces of rubber then this may well be the failure.

If the unload auger drive pulleys spin at normal speed and no hydraulics work, and the machine will not move then it may be the engine gerarcase bevel gear set has failed. There is a cover over the top of the bevel gears on the engine gearcase that can be removed to inspect the gear set. This is a much less common failure but not completely unheard of.

Please keep me posted if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Kevin

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your response. I am 40 miles from the combine right now, I will look at that in the morning. How big of a job is it to replace the couple?
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Ordinarily a dealer would pull the engine out to make it easier to replace the gasket or seals and coupler. On a 9600 there is actually room to slide the engine over in the frame to make the repair. The pan under the engine can be removed so even a pan gasket can be done in the frame. Either way the repair is not super simple.

I will be delayed in response time tomorrow but will be more then happy to help. Keep me posted.

Thanks, Kevin

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you think it could be a sensor
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

I know that would be nice but I'm afraid not. The powertrain is very straight forward, the sensors are operator notification only, they have no secondary safety shutdown control.

The shaft that drives the unload auger pulley is splined directly into the engine coupler, it is that shaft that drives the bevel gears on the hydro/hydraulic drive. If your unload auger pulley is not spinning or is only spinning slowly (drag on the rubber coupler) then the coupler is failed. If the pulley is turning at a seemly normal speed then the bevel gears should be inspected through the upper access plate (it is only siliconed on and is easy to access).

Let me know what you are seeing and I will do my best to help you if needed.

Thanks,

Kevin

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I just wanted to check in to see what you were finding or if there is anything further I can do to assist you?
Thanks,
Kevin