Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager on multiple lines of equipment and rental equipment.
30244710

I have a ford 3415 tractor that seems to be struck in 3rd

Customer Question

I have a ford 3415 tractor that seems to be struck in 3rd gear, I can drive the tractor ok but can't change gears but the gear shift lever is in the neutral position and will move around,( not stuck in any one position ). the range selector will move to any range I put it in so it is not struck. this has happened once before but I kept working with the shift lever and it came loose and was ok but not this time.
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

With the 3415, the shifters go into the side of the case, so to access the shift forks and gears the top flat cover on the transmission has to be removed. With the cover off, you can see the gears and shift forks. You may have a broken fork, or may just need to manipulate the forks, to get everything back into neutral, then test,

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Did you get the cover off and get gears unlocked?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I read you answer right after you sent it last weekend, and I started to pull the top off of the gear box and was pull off by my wife to take her somewhere . IT will be Sunday morning before I can go back to work on it. I am sure you are correct, I thought pretty much the same thing, I just needed someone else to say it before I took the top off.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

That's the way a coil fails.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

oK, disregard last post! it for another!