Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager on multiple lines of equipment and rental equipment.
30244710

I have a john Deere 5105 that will not start. My Daugher ran

Customer Question

I have a john Deere 5105 that will not start. My Daugher ran it out of diesel. I completely filled the tank prior to finding that the fuel hose was is bad shape. I change the dual line and primered the system with the manual pump. I bleed all air from the fuel filter pump and then pumped all air to the I guess the fuel pump. After loosen the fitting prior to the fuel ejecters their was fuel dripping out. The battery is good and the cracking is hard and fast but it will not start. This has turned out to be a 9 hours project in the hot sun. Please HELP.
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
If you open the fuel inlet line at the injection pump and pump the hand primer do you have all the air out of the system? If so, loosen each of the high pressure lines at the injector nozzles at the cylinder head end, and crank until you have fuel squirting, not dripping. Then tighten the lines and start the tractor. If you do NOT get fuel squirting at the injectors, does the injection pump have two electrical connectors on the top cover? This would be for fuel shutoff solenoid. It has to have 12 volts to it, as soon as key is turned on. You will have it, if the tractro kills with key, and not with throttle.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is 1 wire on the Stanadyne part next to the discharge of the fuel line and then like a plug on the further end.
This is a 5105 tractor
Model number:
LV5105C211140.
Hope this helps so you can pull it up.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Does the tractor kill with key? Sounds like the one wire would be it!
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Do you have voltage to it, when key is on?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will find out.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
If the solenoid is ok, then try bleeding the high pressure injector lines.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do have DCV to the injector wire when the key is on and no power when the key is off.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Phone is going dead. I'm head back up to the house to charge it up.
I'll get back with you in the morning if that is okay. Having issues with lighting. Tcator out in the field.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Ok, thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Last thing tonight Curtis.
In the morning when I vent the injectors do I need to push the manual fuel pump in started with and or cracking the engine over a little.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
No, to bleed the injectors, you need to be cranking the engine.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks again Curtis.
Good night.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well not sure what I did don't even know if you got some of the info I just wrote.
Long story short
Not getting fuel to shot out to the inlet of the 1st injector.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Does the solenoid open? Does it have battery voltage? If it does not open, you get nothing to the injectors.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is were in at right now.
I strated all over.
I ensured the fuel shut off valve to the Fuel pump primer was Open, I Open the filter bleed plug and operated the pump and had good fuel flow and NO air I then shut the plug.
I then slightly loosen the fuel line at the injection pump (where I have already put a new rubber ring) and operated the primer on the fuel filter primer pump again (as the manual says to do) but I'm now not getting any flow of fuel to this point.
The manual says once I get fuel to this point I should loosen fuel line connection at the injection nozzle and crank engine with starter motor until air-free fuel flows from the connection.
Ad far as any electrical items they seem to be working as power indicates with my meter when I turn the key on and off.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Curtis I just found in the maunal about the Fuel Shut-Off Solenoid Check your talking about.
It says to turn the key to the ON position. Solenoid plunger should pull in fully with an audible "click"
It also says if the click is not heard ( which I do not remember hearing) to connect a jumper wire from battery positive terminal to solenoid terminal screw.
If solenoid clicks when connected to battery, check wiring circuit to solenoid.
If the solenoid does not click when connected to battery replace solenoid.
Heading back to give all this a try.
Sorry so long just want you to know what I have done and what I'm trying. Thanks again. Billy!!!
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Ok, no fuel to the injection pump. With tractor being ran out of fuel,it may have debris in the tank outlet line to the filter housing. Remove the line and blow back into the tank, line may be plugged
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay Curtis I got her running.
I hooked a charger up to the battery to help keep it from going dead. Started cracking while loosen all the lines to the injectors. After about 1 1/2 minutes air and fuel started coming out kept cracking until it came up to full running speed. Tightn injector fitting after all air and only fuel coming out.
Ran about a minute, shut off re tried and started right up.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Good job! Now need to fix the operator! Please rate to close the question!