Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager on multiple lines of equipment and rental equipment.
30244710

I have a 1949 8n bought new governor installed it doesn't

Customer Question

Hello I have a 1949 8n bought new governor installed it doesn't fell like its kicking in when in a bind. The new governor has a cap that screws on the back of the housing only difference I see between the new and old one. Do I need to adjust it and if so how
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
No, the only governor adjustment is the rod that goes to the carburetor linkage, Not the cap on the end of the governor housing! With 8n's , lack of power many times is the screen in the bottom of the fuel tank being plugged. This is inside the tank, and is on the threads of the strainer where it screws into the fuel tank. You think you have full load of fuel, but have low power, as when load is applied, fuel is lacking. Worth looking at! Have you ever had the strainer screwed out if the fuel tank? Let me know, thanks,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The reason I said anything about cap is if it might be the wrong governor. No I did not check filter in tank but will look. I did put new in line filter on. This is my Dad's tractor he put the in line filter on there. He is 85 years old now. I'm 61 and have moved in with Mom and Dad to take care of them they have 10 acres to cut with this tractor and a finish mower. I need all the help I can get with this tractor. Thanks for the info I will check filter and get back to you tomorrow. Blessings to you
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the reply! I will be here today!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Curtis I have the 1949 8n are you up or should I talk to you tomorrow
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Good morning!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Curtis checked the filter in the gas tank wasn't very dirty but cleaned blew out passage way tried it didn't help. HELP
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
You removed the strainer from the tank, and drained the tank? And you have adjusted the governor rod? It has to be adjusted so it pulls the throttle butterfly wide open.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That rod has no adjustment to it unless you do it with the governor. The rod for the fuel has nuts on it so you adjust the length. Then again you might think I'm nuts.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Looking at the original service manual for 8N,9N, 2N, it says to get more rpm, the governor rod, from governor lever, to the lever at the throttle spring end, has to be shortened. That is the only adjustment. Shortening or lengthening the rod.