Kevin
Kevin, Technician
Experience:  Over ten years of expirence in Ag Electronics and Hydraulics
32685367

We have a john deere 2555 with two problems. first one is the

Customer Question

we have a john deere 2555 with two problems. first one is the pto won't stay in engaged
unless you hold the handle up. second one is the lever on the dash only works in the turtle
gear but if you put it the rabbit gear sometimes it works for a while then goes back to the
slower gear
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I would like to help yo with your question.
Both the transmission hi/low and the PTO are held on by transmission pressure. If your transmission pressure is low then the levers will not stay in the up or forward position. Most likely your transmission pressure is high enough when the oil is cold to allow the high low to remain in the forward position. Low transmission pressure can be caused by a few different problems. The easiest to check is the PTO valve and high low housing. The below link will take you to a diagram showing the shift valve cover.
http://jdpc.deere.com/pimages/L113/L113683________UN01JAN94.gif
carefully pry the cover up and off, be aware that there are steel tubes going into the bottom of the cover that you will need to wiggle free of the cover. It is the o-rings sealing the tubes to the cover that are known to be the most common cause of the problem you describe. With the cover off you can put air pressure down the four small tubes and listen for leaks. The four tubes supply pressure for PTO engagement, MFWD disengagement, and both the Hi and Low two speed clutch. A large leak indicates a problem. If only small leaks are evident and the shift cover o-rings and gaskets look good then the transmission pump itself may be to blame.
If I can be of any further assistance please let me know what you are finding and I will gladly assist you with further diagnostics as needed.
Thanks,
Kevin
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
I just wanted to check in to see if you had gotten your issue resolved, let me know if there is anything further I can do to assist you.
Thanks,
Kevin