spankyjr1
spankyjr1, Journeyman
Experience:  I worked on all types semis,forklifts,farm,fire,ect.
65057319

JD2010 crawler tractor 1960's won't go into gear after it

Customer Question

JD2010 crawler tractor 1960's won't go into gear after it has sat awhile replaced clutch
about two years ago
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  spankyjr1 replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is ***** ***** you for your question.
Sorry for delay.
Will it go into gear if you don't start the engine?
Just hold shifter to any gear while bumping starter,,you may have to bypass neutral switch.
Let me know
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have done this many times cannot get engine to disengage from drive train - actually started tractor by bypassing neutral switch and put pressure on tractor going in reverse and forward
Expert:  spankyjr1 replied 1 year ago.
does this have a standard flywheel and pressure plate clutch set up?Two disc,,intermediate plate,throwout bearingI think your clutch may not be disengaging but I need to make sure its a regular clutch and then I can tell you how to get un stuck.Let me know
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes! standard flywheel and pressure plate clutch set up Two disk intermediate plate, throw out bearing
Expert:  spankyjr1 replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for info.First you need some room to do this,, if you have to start in reverse and move so you have some room do that first.Then put a block of wood holding clutch pedal down,,,put in third/4th gear,,start in third gear and get a decent speed up,,jam on brakes,,this will unstick rusted clutch disc. You want it moving good so if you need to go to higher gear you can as long as it will start,,,once you jam on brakes and it frees up you will come to a stop since your holding clutch down with wood block,,remove block of wood and you should be good to go. If you leave this sit for long periods of time use a block of wood to hold clutch down while sitting so this won't happen.Questions or problems let me know I'm happy to assist.A rating is required. You’re rating my personal service to you, not Just Answer. I am not an employee of this website, nor do I have control over the fees or the time it took for you to get a response. I respond as soon as I see the questions in the order that I receive them when I am online.Also rating does not close your question, it just assures Just answer credits me,,, has nothing to do with you.You can continue to follow up as long as needed even after ratingThanks spanky
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Put a block of wood to hold open the clutch last time I let it sit, have tried the suggestions you made but not in such and orderly fashion, will try the other suggestions this evening!
Expert:  spankyjr1 replied 1 year ago.
You have to have clutch held down while rolling in a higher gear so the weight of truck frees up the clutch disc when you jam on brakes.Just trying what you did while in low gear without doing this will do nothing. Good luckspanky
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tried this multiple times in the two highest gears in reverse and forward - Is it possible something else is frozen then I
can go under the crawler tractor and lubricate or hit with a brass drift to release the problem?
Note: So far I am very impressed with your suggestions - Thank You!
Expert:  spankyjr1 replied 1 year ago.
Is there resistance felt when pushing down on clutch?Does this have linkage directly to to a clutch arm or is it hydraulic actuated? You would see a steel line with a slave cylinder to release clutch. Let me know
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes! There is resistance when pushing down on the clutch pedal.
The linkage is directly connected to the clutch arm!
Expert:  spankyjr1 replied 1 year ago.
I'm not sure if this one has it but most have a small inspection cover by clutch you can remove to adjust clutch,,remove cover,,with clutch pedal held down take a big punch and try and hit first disc, in between gaps in pressure plate,,not to hard but hard enough to make it move,then crank or bar engine over half turn and do it again,,hopefully that will loosen at least the one disc,,then try the first way again if it does not release after this.When you did it the first way if you let up on accelerator before applying brakes hard don't,,you want to use the engine RPM to brake loose the disc. Let me know
Expert:  spankyjr1 replied 1 year ago.
Hi I'm just following up to see if you where satisfied with my answer.
Please keep in mind that even though you have already paid your deposit money
over to JustAnswer, or you may be a subscriber, until you rate me highly for my service,
I will not be paid for having assisted you with your questions.
Thanks
spanky