Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager on multiple lines of equipment and rental equipment.
30244710

Carburator John Deere Briggs 22hp

Customer Question

John Deere riding mower, not sure of model because engine was swapped from 25 hp briggs stratton to 22HP briggs. 8 years old.

Mower suddenly started idling rough and backfiring when running after 30 or 40 mins. I tried increasing throttle to keep it going for a bit, but it'll eventually died. After I replaced the pump, it ran fine but that might be because it had cooled off.  However, I had tried cold cranking it that morning and I got nothing out of it even when I poured gas in the carburetor.  Prior to that is when it had started acting up.  Only way to start it back up is to put a little gas in carburetor but shut off as soon as it burned out.

I replaced fuel pump. I think filter is fine - it was replaced a couple years back. Oil is good - wouldn't be that anyway. I removed carburetor and it's not gunked up but when it took off the seat, there were two brass looking grommets (not sure of term) just laying in the cup. I'm I can fit them in the little plastic housing on underside of carburetor, but they are loose and because they were just laying in the cup, i'm not sure how the brass things should be positioned - with rubber ring inside the tube.  should it be a tight fit - right now if I put them in place and turn unit right side up, they fall right out if I don't place the seat on first.  I need a diagram or some explanation as to how the brass things (in pics below) should be positioned.  I'm assuming they came loose and caused it to keep flooding the carburetor.  Is that a reasonable assumption?

Main question at this point is how to put the carburetor back together.

Read more: http://www.justanswer.com/agriculture-and-farm-equipment/979dm-carburator-john-deere-briggs-22hp.html?rpt=1350#ixzz3g6QDjH7U

Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
http://outdoorpowerinfo.com/repairs/briggs_intek_v-twin_carb.asp
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
The o'ring has to hold the jets in place!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok... So I need to ask for new o-rings for carburator, correct? Or do I need a kit to replace float and other stuff

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

model is(###) ###-####E1. looks like best would be to order a kit.---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------https://www.partstree.com/parts/briggs-and-stratton/engines-vertical-engine-with-electric-starter/441777-0116-e1-briggs-stratton-engine-electric-starter/carburetor-gasket-set-engine-kit-carburetor-overhaul/

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your help.

I went ahead and bought a new carburetor. However, the connections are a little different because it's an updated model (i guess). My question is, is the wire going into the solenoid a positive and negative. In other words, is it possible to connect the wires the wrong way. Pic below.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Just hook them together! Polarity is not important.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok. I replacef carburayor... It ran fine for abouf 30 mins and it shut off again. So far I have...

replaced fuel pump

replaced carburator

replaced fuel filter

replaced both spark plugs

Gas tank is over half full

Oil level is full

Why would be shutting off on me?

W

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Will it restart? Do you have spark? If you have spark. We have to assume it is lack of fuel. Take the old carburetor, and remove the fuel solenoid. Cut the tip off the solenoid and install it in the new carburetor, as a dummy and see if it runs, leave the wiring off it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Before I start chopping up stuff, how likely would it be that the coil needs replacing?

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Do you have spark? This is twin engine, not likely both coils have failed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, it will start back up after it cools

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
I would try the fuel solenoid dummy!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

On the carburator? Its brand new

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Use the old solenoid!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

But the same thing was happening with the old solenoid before I removed carburator. Unsure of the problem, instead of replacing the solenoid, I replaced the whole unit. Would it really make a diff if problem occurred with old unit?

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Solenoid would determine if it is the problem area! It may not be. But solenoid can loose voltage an kill engine.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Solenoid canbe good, but still kill engine!
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
With dummy solenoid you will know!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Same dummy result.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
With that, it is not the carburetor. I wonder if your engine is running only on one cylinder? Do a cylinder test. loosen the spark plug wires and with it idling, remove one wire at a time. If engine dies when one is removed, the opposite cylinder is not firing. If cylinder is dead, the good cylinder may have a bad coil, and it cuts out when hot. That would let engine die, and restart when it cools!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I haven't tried this yet, but I will when I get back home today.

2 questions:

If I was running one cylinder, wouldn't I notice the sound difference in the engine especially when going uphill - there are several hilly areas (some very steep) that I mow every week all around my home.

Also, is it possible that the old solenoid was bad? And if it was, wouldn't the new solenoid that came with the carb have corrected that issue? Just curious...

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
The solenoid may not be bad, it may be loosing voltage. But by using the old one as a dummy, you will know! The Briggs engine runs very well on one cylinder, so you not notice it!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok... I started it and disconnected one plug... It ran a little rough and died. I reconnected and restarted then tried the other side and it stayed running. However, just to check, I disconnected the other side again and it idled down but it kept running.

What does that mean?

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
check the valve clearance, . If valves are ok, you may have a coil failing.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
.004 to .006 on valve lash