Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager on multiple lines of equipment and rental equipment.
30244710

I have a john deere 4230 diesel, it runs smoth until I bring

Customer Question

I have a john deere 4230 diesel, it runs smoth until I bring rpm up to 1500, then starts sputtering & powers down.
I replaced the fuel filter three times after draining fuel tank & finding some sediment in tank.
I think the problem may be more than a clogged filter as it still wont run over 1500 rpm?
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I took fuel cap off thinking it might be some sort of vapor lock, but still will run only 3 mins, then basically seems to run out of fuel, not sure about fuel transfer pump?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Take the guess work out of it and make a test line from the fuel transfer pump inlet, back into the fuel tank filer or a separate fuel container, this bypasses the suction system. See if the engine will run. If it does, problem is before the fuel transfer pump and likely at the first fuel line coming from the tank!