Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager on multiple lines of equipment and rental equipment.
30244710

I have a Case D35 diesel tractor that seems to have an

Customer Question

I have a Case D35 diesel tractor that seems to have an electrical problem. I have load tested the battery and it is good. I used a multimeter and put positive lead on postive wire to starter and ground on starter case and got 12 volts. The lights will
work until you try to start it and you here one click at starter then lights go out. If you wiggle the cables on the battery the lights will come back on and then the same thing will happen again. The cables look in good condition and battery terminals are
clean. I was thinking a electric short or bad alternator. Can you point me in the right direction?
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Do you have original cable ends at the battery or the bolt one ends that use a strap to hold cable to the terminal? I think you need new battery cable! I assume the ground cable to frame connection has be checked.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The battery connections look like the ones in a new car with bolt to tighten them down. The positive cable goes straight to starter from battery and tested at 12 volts....I will check the ground...anything else I should test. The tractor is at my neighbors house and would like to to know what else I should check before I go over there. If ground tests good and positive is good going to starter what else should I test?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Check the battery voltage when the lights go out.