Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager on multiple lines of equipment and rental equipment.
30244710

I have a gas ford 3600 that wont start. I had replaced the

Customer Question

I have a gas ford 3600 that wont start. I had replaced the solenoid and starter, but then had to jump it to start it. Went out today to jump start and only made clicking sound. Tightened all the connections and then only a whirring sound. Went direct with the jumper cable to the solenoid, still only whirring sound. Went direct to starter and nothing. Any ideas?
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
What does the battery voltage show? What does it do show when starter is engaged?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Are you getting the same battery voltage to the stater solenoid?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks I'm really bad with a multimeter, so I haven't checked it and I'm not sure exactly how to do it. The tractor is an hour away, so I won't be able to check it until next week. I guess could you give me some ideas of things to check and possible problems to check when I am there?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
I'm thinking battery or cable problem, where the full battery voltage is not getting to the starter. Check the cables at battery, the negative cable to the frame connection, and the positive to the starter solenoid. If you have the bolt on terminal ends, which so many do, cut cable back and replace them! More no starts are caused by them. The cables corrode under the hold down clamps, and you get poor connections.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks very much, one thing I tried was taking the positive cable directly to the solenoid from my good battery i was jumping from, and again it only whirred without kicking over, so would this eliminate the possibility of bad cables or could it still be bad negative cable? Also, the tractor cables are way more expensive than regular car cables, so is it ok just to use car cables? Thanks again I really appreciate it.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Jumper cables can always have bad connection and give indication of low voltage. But car cables are no different than tractor cables. Just get a good cable, more copper the better!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks again
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you!
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you!