Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager on multiple lines of equipment and rental equipment.
30244710

I have a kioti ck25 tractor that won't start. I've replaced

Customer Question

I have a kioti ck25 tractor that won't start. I've replaced the fuel stop solenoid per dealer's suggestion but that didn't help. The engine turns over but won't fire. At the suggetion of a mechanic I sprayed starter fluid into the air intake and there was no change except white smoke came out the exhaust and the engine made a clanking sound when the starter fluid was sprayed in, so the mechanic thinks it's an electrical problem. I've checked wires and not found a problem. One thing I noticed is that the oil pressure indicator light on the dash doesn't light up when the key is turned, but the battery and glow plug lights do come on. The small book that came with the tractor says they are all supposed to come on.
Can you help?
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
When did tractor last run? How did this show itself?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Have you removed the glow plugs and ran a compression test?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
If you loosen high pressure injection lines, do yo get fuel squirting? Not dribbling!
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
When cranking!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have used the tractor without issue right up til the time it wouldn't start. I lifted a barrel onto a scaffold, backed up and lowered the bucket and shut it off. 10 minutes or so later when I went back to start it up again the problem showed up. It would crank over but not start. I replaced the fuel filter, air filter, connectors on the battery and the ground wire to the battery. Then upon discussions with the dealer and looking at the shop manual, I replaced the fuel stop solenoid. At no point did the tractor fire like it was trying to start. I bled fuel from the filter, and opened the bleeding bolt on the fuel injection pump and fuel leaked out.
I then injected starter spray into the air intake to try to see if it would fire. It did not, and at that point a mechanic said it was an electrical issue not fuel so I started checking electrical issues. I pulled and examined each fuse in the fuse block.. No blown fuses. Then I went back to the manuals for the tractor (again), and noticed that the oil pressure light was supposed to come on when the key was turned on but it did not. While I was trying to investigate that another friend suggested checking for broken or frayed wires. I found one where the sheath was worn but no wires in the sheath were worn so I taped up the sheath and put it back in place. At this point I decided to go back to the computer to investigate online and found "Just Ask". I have not tinkered with the injection system since the use of starter fluid failed to produce firing which indicated an electrical problem.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Diesel engine will not be affected by fuses or other components. Except for the fuel shutoff solenoid. Slip the solenoid back, so it can't kill the engine, and see if the tractor starts. If not, you have injection pump that is stuck in a no fuel position.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Curtis,
The tractor is going to the dealer tomorrow to be looked at and fixed. I appreciate your timely responses, and when I find out what the problem really is I will complete the rating. They think it might be a relay associated with the solenoid. Everyone has an opinion. Now it's just a matter of finding out who's right.Good night
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Ok, thanks for the reply!