Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager on multiple lines of equipment and rental equipment.
30244710

1992 R52 Gleaner combine with a Deutz engine. Turn key to start,

Customer Question

1992 R52 Gleaner combine with a Deutz engine. Turn key to start, it only clicks. Batteries fully charged. Has new starter and relay that is bolted to engine mount below starter. It has power coming from key to this relay. If you jump across the two big terminals of this relay, the engine will crank and start. Bypassed neutral switch, didn't help. Replaced console relay, although old one appeared to be fine. Also installed a new ignition switch. If you turn on the field light and hit the key, the lights do not dim. If you turn the key to "on", the cab interior light and the overhead instrument panel light up. when you turn the key to "start", all these lights go out.
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The circuit breaker in the engine compartment that the battery cables are connected to is also OK.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Try a new wire or mirror the existing wire with a jumper wire, from the keyswitch wire to the starter relay. Existing wire may not be carrying the amperage it requires to close the relay.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I ran a wire from the small terminal of the relay to the starter post on the ignition. Same thing--clicking. I took the wire off the starter post and touched it to the ignition post and the engine fired right up.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As a sidebar, the voltage on the alternator meter will sometimes read low (i.e. 10 and then come up to 12 or 13) The alternator was new last year.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
What is voltage to the relay? Relay is a 12 volt relay and needs the full 12 volts to close.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There are 12 volts coming off the starter terminal of the key switch. I just requested a phone call, but don't think my number is ***** my profile: (###) ###-####
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Voltage is just one side of the equation. It has to carry enough amperage to close the relay. Try a larger wire from key to relay!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think the wire is heavy enough because it activates the starter when I touch the ignition terminal of the key.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
New key switch?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
New key switch?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes, it's new
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, I have to leave for an MRI appointment, so I'm not able to finish this conversation.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
OK> Thanks