Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager on multiple lines of equipment and rental equipment.
30244710

We have a Ford 4000 Industrial tractor (3 cyl Diesel with gear type

Customer Question

Hi we have a Ford 4000 Industrial tractor (3 cyl Diesel with gear type hydraulic pump.)
We are trying to remove and inspect the Back Pressure Valve, which is inside the rear axle housing, but we are having trouble getting it out because it is down in a very tight corner.
Our question is, how do you get this valve (and its filter) out in order to check it and replace the filter?
Our larger problem is that the tractor lift and PTO do not work under any condition. The service manual indicates that the Back Pressure Valve is one item that can cause this. We have already gone in and replaced a clogged intake screen/filter at the hydraulic pump and changed the hydraulic fluid. Also, our Ford tractor mechanic checked the hydraulic cover components and said they were okay. (The tractor itself runs fine and the hydraulic brakes work, but the lift and PTO do not. The PTO did work before we changed the hydraulic intake filter, but the lift has never worked in 3 or so years.)
Can
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
http://www.messicks.com/nh/64887?sectionId=20591&diagramId=64887_323079
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Take the single bolt # ***** out from the outside of the transmission and remove the assembly!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sir,Thank you, ***** ***** should have explained, we have already removed the screw/bolt that holds the tube in place. Hence, that is not the problem. The problem is that the filter assembly and Back Pressure valve it self are down (at the end of the tube) in an area that is blocking us from getting to it or pulling it out. In other words, other transaxle and hydraulic pump related parts are blocking access to it. We can shake the tube and move it a little, but cannot get it out. Further, the top end of the tube will not slide down far enough to get it out of its opening inthe transaxle case housing.We only see two options, neither of which would make sense to use:
1) Bend the tube to get the top end out of the trans axle house.
2) Dis assemble the entire rear-end of the tractor.So again, what we are looking for is advice on how to get the BPV/filter out. (The screw/bolt is not the issue here.) The Ford or ITT manual does not help with this part. It only shows the screw/bolt that you are talking about.Again, the question is how we get the BPV/filter out of that type area (where things are obstructing us from getting to it or getting it out.) That screw is not the issue.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
You have the hydraulic pump off ?All the side cover s off?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We had the pump and side covers completely off the first time we worked on the tractor. Even then we could not get it out, but again we did not want to try bending the tube on which the BPV and filter are attached at its lower end. (At present--this is our 2nd time going in-- we only the top hydraulic cover that allows allows you to see down in there.) We wanted to check with someone this time before taking all that stuff out again.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
!! I'm thinking it has to go out the side!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay, we will take a look.Is my understanding correct that we can contact you again later today under this current transaction ?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Yes, thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sir,Respectfully, ***** ***** what you recommend will work.
I have the following proof of this
1) The Ford Full Service Shop Manual that covers this tractor.
2.) Another Service Manual for the tractor
3.) Direct feedback from an experience Ford Tractor Mechanic who has work on similar Ford tractors in this line
4.) Several internet articles from other persons who are experienced with this tractor model.
5.) My and another persons own direct observation from having talking ALL of the hydraulic covers off of that tractor.Sources 1 and 2 above do not show the steps that you recommend for removing the Back Pressure Valve (nor its assembly). That bolt that you talk about only secures it in place. Removing the bolt allows it to shake around, but you cannot get that assembly out without doing MUCH MUCH MORE, which is what sources 3 and 4 point out, and what I have found myself (source 5). There is much much more required. I am not saying what (you should know if you gave advice.)Respectfully, ***** ***** rather you have stated the "limitations of your experience" with this particular tractor. I am requesting a refund.
William