dieseldan55
dieseldan55, Mechanic
Experience:  Road mechanic for Volvo Construction Equipment.
11640745

In a little 3 cyclindet diesel engine I was changing the oil

Customer Question

In a little 3 cyclindet diesel engine I was changing the oil and over filled it by 2 gallons tried to start engine locked up before ever starting. Then I let oil out to proper level tried to start engine still locked up.what to do
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  dieseldan55 replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I would suggest turning by hand in reverse to make sure the motor is still operational. I would also suggest to remove the injectors or glow plugs to alllow any oil on the top of the cyclinders to escape and then once you have a few revelutions around install and try to start again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok what I did was remove glow plugs the fly wheel moved easily but when I put glows back in try to crank same thing tries but won't crank over ..ive done this twice..while turning the fly wheel oil spurted up and out. But jams up when plugs are in..
What about cranking whit glowed out
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What about cranking with glow plugs out?
Yes that can work as well. Make sure the battery is charged as well and turn over several times with the glow plugs out. It should get enough out to allow it to fire but make sure the battery is fully charged. You can also hand crank the motor to lessen the stress on the starter motor.