Dan, Technician
Experience:  17+ yrs. shop and field experience with all major brands of heavy equipment, trucks and farm equipment - 1995 WyoTech graduate.
65405794

Deere 6310 hydraulics become weak and engine overheats. pressures

Customer Question

deere 6310 hydraulics become weak and engine overheats. pressures at priority flow valve check ok but charge pump pressure is at the minimum level and only rises 5-6psi from idle to wide open and pump becomes noisy as rpms increase. I have checked screen and changed both filters and pulled and checked charge pump. Any ideas?
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is***** will be glad to try to help. If the suction screen and filter is clean and you have confirmed no leaks on the suction side of the pump or anything causing the pump to starve for oil and the pump output is low, you have a weak charge pump especially if the pump is noisy. Once the pump begins making consistent noise the damage from air and cavitation is already done. Copy and paste this link in your bropwser to access the online parts catalog for this model. Type your model, then select sectional index, then choose from the sections. This will help with component identification. Let me know.
http://jdpc.deere.com/jdpc/servlet/com.deere.u90490.partscatalog.view.servlets.homepageservlet_alt
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The internals of the charge pump show no signs of wear, and noise appears to come from the main hydraulic pump however it is hard to tell as they are coupled together. I have pressure tested the charge pump, is there a way to flow test it? Could the main pump be demanding more oil the the charge pump can supply? I hate to order a new pump not being certain as they have a hefty restocking fee.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
What functions are strong and what ones are weak? Also when hot? When cold? Let me know. You would need to put a flow meter in line to measure the flow in GPM output of the pumps for a flow check. If you disassembled the pump and inspected it just be sure you measured the tolerances of the machined surfaces to confirm they are in specs as per the service book. Sometimes a visual inspection can overlook something. I am heading out with family for the afternoon but will be able to respond back on my next available login
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am familiar with general theory of operation of this system, I am looking for specific procedures to pinpoint the problematic component. Does the main pump have a case drain that can be monitored, what should the flow rate of the charge pump be, are there any other tests that could help to narrow down the possibilities?
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the update. I no longer work for Deere so accessing the technical information beyond what manuals I have here is difficult but I think there might be a couple experts on the site that might have access to this info for you. Let me opt out so this will post back on the board for others to see. Dont replay back as it will just lock the question back to me. No need to rate either as I could not help with the specific test info you need here. I wish I could be of more help.